History
Zion Hill Baptist Church
History
Zion Hill Baptist Church was started some years prior to 1890 as a little prayer house located in the White Bluff area and later re-built near the place where Haven Home School formerly stood and Barlett Middle School now stands on Montgomery Crossroads. It was one of the many prayer houses started by First African Baptist Church.
Zion Hill Missionary Baptist Church was formally organized in 1894. Brother and Sister Henry Days deeded a portion of the property on White Bluff Road and Montgomery Crossroads for the building. With dedication and determination, the founders were able to move from a little prayer house to the new church structure. Baptisms were originally conducted at the McHaney Bridge, located on Montgomery Crossroads.
Reverend Lymus Bonds was elected Pastor in 1895 and served as Shepherd until 1924. Five Deacons were ordained during Reverend Bond’s tenure. Reverend Bonds died in 1925. During that same year, another tragedy struck. The Church was destroyed by fire.
Reverend David Canty was then elected Pastor in 1925. He rallied the people together to rebuild the burned church. His efforts were so successful that the new church was erected within the same year and was built debt free. Reverend Canty served for eight years. He stopped preaching because of failing health. Four Deacons were ordained during Reverend Canty’s tenure.
In 1934, Reverend R. J. Dinkins was called as Pastor and served faithfully until 1938. After the death of Reverend Dinkins, Zion Hill was without a Pastor for two years. During that time, the congregation was led by the Chairman of the Deacon Board, Deacon John Graham. Two brethrens were licensed to preach, they were: Licenciate A. B. (Angus Bridie) Brown, who was ordained in 1939 and Licentiate Jacob Daniel Walker, Sr., who was ordained in 1940. In 1939, Brother Buford Brannen was elected as Church Clerk.
In 1940, Reverend W. J. Wilson was elected Pastor and many souls were added to the Zion Hill family. A Floral Design Club, led by Sister Sarah Bryant, was organized. Deacons Willie Cohen and Buford Brannen were ordained; and in 1945, the Usher Board was organized. Reverend Wilson resigned as Pastor of Zion Hill in 1945. After a short period of time, Reverend William Daniels was elected.
Under Reverend Daniels’ leadership, progress was made, including the organization of a Women’s Mission in 1948 with Sister Maggie Brown as President. During his tenure, many souls were called to join the Zion Hill family.